Disclaimer: This article is not a substitute for legal or accounting advice. Look for professional advice before you take action.
Have you ever sat back and wondered what it would be like to work from home or from anywhere in the world? Has the idea of becoming a digital nomad appealed to you? If you answered yes to these questions, keep reading to learn how to start working remotely from Peru!
So You Want to Work Remotely From Peru?
Working from home is fast becoming the new norm even long after we emerge from lockdowns and quarantines worldwide. More opportunities are also coming about as the demand for remote work options increases.
You may be asking, but how do I get my foot in the door to start working from home? And how do I position myself for employment with leading companies within the US? We are glad you asked! That's where we can help!
At Nexton, our mission is to assist senior developers in securing remote work with high-earning positions within the US. It doesn't matter if you are in Ecuador, Uruguay, or, as we'll cover in this article, Peru; we can guide you in finding your dream job. Let's look at what it takes to work remotely from Peru!
Visa Requirements for Remote Work?
I'm sure you are wondering if you have to have a visa to become a remote worker for US companies. Luckily for those looking to switch, there are no work visa requirements. Only foreign nationals who wish to move to and work from Peru are required to have permission to work there.
Register as an Independent Contractor
Now that you don’t have to worry about obtaining a work visa, the next step is to register as self-employed or an independent contractor.
To work from home in Peru, you must register your information with the Superintendencia Nacional de Aduanas y de Administración Tributaria (SUNAT) to obtain a tax identification number. Your ID number is used for your tax contributions. In the case of registering as self-employed, you must also sign up for Registro Único de Contribuyentes (RUC) for your RUC tax ID.
Don’t Neglect Your Tax Obligation
Once you have registered under the correct status, you will have to pay your tax obligation, due once a year. As a remote worker, you will be responsible for filing invoices and your overall tax obligation. You can either contribute monthly or when you file annually.
Peru uses a progressive income tax rate from 8% to 30%, depending on your gross income from the previous tax year. If you are a resident, you are subject to pay on global source income, which is income generated from any country in the world. It is essential to keep in mind that Peru does not have a tax-free threshold.
Understand Your Payment Options to Receive Pay
The question that's always posed regarding remote work is, how do I receive my paycheck? It's vital to understand how your employer will compensate you and the options you have to receive your payment.
- A bank transfer is a payment option for anyone with a local bank account in Peru. However, this choice may not be the most desirable as it can include high fees for transfer services. Remember that not all banks participate in international transitions. If you already hold an account with a local Peruvian bank, ask if they offer transfer services and what fees they include.
- Xoom is a Paypal-powered service that allows you to receive payments to transfer into your bank account. It also offers cash pick-up at selected locations. Xoom is an excellent alternative to bank transfers as it offers lower fees and rapid service.
- Cryptocurrency is another means you can receive payment for your work. In many companies, you can get paid through this digital currency instead of in more traditional forms. While crypto is not new, the implementation has been slow when it comes to worker’s compensation. However, it’s beginning to pick up speed. Ask your employer if they offer cryptocurrency as a payment option.
How Nexton Can Assist You in Your Job Search
Now that you understand how to register as an independent contractor, pay taxes and receive your payment, you can begin searching for that perfect job. But, don't know where to start? Let us be your guide!
At Nexton, we take you through several steps to match you with US companies that best suit your skills and experiences. We do that by first understanding you as a senior developer and your career goals.
From there, we schedule a call with our expert engineers to deep dive into your interests, salary expectations, and the industry need for your skill. Understanding your abilities will allow us to pair you with US companies you can win over!
Once we've gotten to know you, we contact US companies that offer long-term remote work opportunities and assist you in preparing for interviews for said companies. After you have landed the position, your journey as a remote worker begins!
Are You Ready?
We have to pair you with the company of your dreams that can provide:
- A satisfactory work-life balance.
- Higher salary.
- The security of long-term employment.
Are you ready to take your remote career to the next level or start your journey working from home? Contact us and let's make your dreams a reality!